Courses

Saturday 11 February 2012

Me Against Myself


It’s been about a month and twenty days when I visited Durham, UK, on a trip with my family. Once on a cold night of December, I was sitting in front of burning woods in a traditional furnace trying to keep myself warm and reading a local newspaper in my hands. Suddenly, a heading caught my attention: “Sir Tim Berners-Lee On at Durham Business School, just for you!”
“Oh, Sir Tim Berners-Lee On, the same person who had developed the framework upon which the world wide web was built! How could I miss his lecture?” I thought enthusiastically.
Immediately, I got more information on it and very next day I started off to attend the event.
Finally, I got off a city train carrying a heavy hand bag on my shoulders which contained my lunch box, laptop, books and some important documents.
I looked around to call for a porter to carry my bag. On not finding one, I got upset. But then, I saw a man noticing the worried look on my face. He was wearing a tuxedo and had some hair left on his head. Our eyes met and we smiled to each other. Seeing an inquisitive look into his eyes I inquired,
“Excuse me Sir, could you please help me in finding a porter to carry my bag. It’s getting heavy on my shoulders.”
“Young man, why don't you carry it yourself and save your money?"  He suggested in answer.
I felt uneasy on his reply and said stubbornly,
 “In the first place, it is heavy, and secondly, it is against the pride of an educated person like me to have it on my shoulders. I need someone else to carry it for me."
He, spontaneously, answered me,
"The hallmark of education is humility, not pride. If you cannot carry your own bag, how are you carrying your body? If, however, you cannot carry your own bag, I shall do so for you."
 And, then he carried my bag. On reaching my destination, I wanted to offer him money but he refused and told me,
 "Serving you is my reward".
Then, he walked away left me thinking, confused and impressed at the same time.  I was introduced to a new perspective on life…
Soon, I reached my desired venue. I saw a lot of people, students and staff at the meeting. Finally, the speaker invited Sir Tim Berners-Lee On to deliver his lecture. I was curious to see him feeling myself very fortunate to be among his audience. Suddenly, a man amongst the people at the lecture hall stood up and moved towards the rostrum. The minute he turned to the audience, I was shocked to see my porter there…
BY: Omer Rathore
Sec: Y

No comments:

Post a Comment